Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beef, It What's for Dinner

I finally used my Mother's Day gift, a pressure cooker/canner. To tell you the truth, I was scared. I have heard horror stories about them blowing up and burning people. I did not have any such disastrous things happen.


I was quite impressed with myself. I read the instruction manual and The Ball Blue Book.
I purchased two of the biggest packages of ground beef (97/3) that I could find. I was hoping to make 7 jars of meat, I only got six. They were a little too full, but I did it anyway. (It is not recommended to overfill your jars.) It took a long time. I used the hot pack method. I started late and did not have all the things I needed. I sent my hubby out to get the things I needed. It took him what seemed like forever. I needed something to warm my jars, so they wouldn't crack when I put the hot meat in them & a ladle to spoon hot water over the meat in the jars.
I chose the hot pack method because I have seen jars of red meat in other peoples storage. It just looks gross to me. I would rather see it browned. Anyway, here is my advice: make sure you have all the things you will need before you start, make sure you know how long it will take, and follow the proven directions.
I have not tried my meat yet, but I am excited. My food storage dinners will have much more variety. We will have sloppy joes, enchiladas, and many more.
Did I mention the house smelled great all night and the next morning?

No comments: