Wednesday, June 10, 2009

There Are Beans in the Cake

Several places on the internet suggested using beans in baked items as a way to rotate food storage. I was not sure it would work. I had to try it for myself. I have dry beans in my food storage but I do not use them. I do not know how to rehydrate them. After I try it I will show you how. I am sure it is not hard, but I have never done it.

The beans are used as a substitute for cooking oil. This cake mix called for 1/3 cup of oil. I chose to use white beans because it was a light colored cake. Chocolate cake or brownies would be great for black beans I've read.
Here's how you do it. Put the rinsed re hydrated or canned beans in the blender. Puree them. My blender required a little bit of water along with the beans. About a tablespoon.

This is what they looked like when I was done.


Below is a picture of my baked cake. It looks about the same. It does not have a beany smell, although the entire kitchen smelled like beans from the prep work.
Here is the finished cake frosting and all on a plate, so you can see the inside. Could I taste the beans? NO. Did my family know? NO. I made a yellow cake because I had it already. I do not like yellow cake. My son has issues with chocolate. I am not that familiar with yellow cake, but it seemed to me that it had a little more dense of a texture than one made with oil.
Will I do it again? Probably, but not frequently. It only used 1/3 cup of re hydrated beans. Very little rotation involved in this recipe. I did not save my pureed beans for future use. I will just make more.

2 comments:

The Millers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri said...

I'm making brownies today with black beans. You use the whole can and some water and don't add anything else (no eggs or oil). I'll let you know how they turn out.