Friday, July 17, 2009

Bread Calculation

I did a little calculating and thought I would share what I came up with.

I wanted to know what I would need to make bread for one year for my long term food storage.
I decided I want to make bread twice a week every week. That makes 52 X 2. I will make bread 104 times a year.

The last time I made bread, Thursday, it took about 7-8 cups of wheat flour. In order to get 7-8 cups of wheat flour I ground about 1/2 of a #10 size can of hard red winter wheat. I will need about 52 #10 cans of wheat.

My recipe calls for six ingredients: water, yeast, honey, oil, salt and wheat flour. Water comes out of the tap. I plan to purchase yeast at Wal-mart. My recipe calls for 1tbsp. I use Fleischmans in a jar. Each jar contains about 16 tbsp. (104/16=6.5 jars) 7 jars X $4.00/jar=$28.00. Honey must be a popular gift. I have received it many times. No need to buy honey right now. I am all stocked up on oil. My recipe only calls for 3 tbsp of oil. I have a large supply of salt. (I received it as a wedding gift 15 years ago.) The last time I made bread it took about 7-8 cups of wheat flour. In order to get 7-8 cups of flour I ground about 1/2 of a #10 size can of hard red winter wheat. I will need 52 #10 cans of wheat.

For now I will need to spend about $28.00 on yeast and purchase wheat, then I will be making bread like a mad woman.

No comments: